Re: Basic Bird Song/Call Recording Kit Recommendation

Subject: Re: Basic Bird Song/Call Recording Kit Recommendation
From: dmosher38
Date: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:22 am ((PDT))
Everyone--thanks for all your advice, greatly appreciated! I wasn't sure ab=
out the TRS/TRRS adapter being needed, having seen that elsewhere. I'll loo=
k into the Sony/Olympus/etc audio recorders. Give one a try and then look i=
nto an external/parabolic mic depending on my results. Guess I was hoping t=
o double-down on my smartphone, but can instead perpetuate the nerdy birder=
 look with binoculars, a camera and now a recorder hanging off my person. T=
hanks again everyone, great information!=0D
=0D
-Doug=0D
 =0D
=0D
---In  <> wrote :=0D
=0D
 Hi Doug,=0D
=0D
Unfortunately, Sennheiser gave you incorrect information that the MKE 400 w=
ould directly connect to a smart phone. The MKE 400 and just about any 3.5m=
m microphone uses a TRS (3 connections) connector that will require an adap=
ter. Just about every smart phone uses a TRRS (4 connections) connector. Th=
e type of adapter you need is one similar to this one: http://wildtronics.c=
om/store.html#!/Smart-Phone-Adapter/p/57388524/category=3D5592559 http://wi=
ldtronics.com/store.html#!/Smart-Phone-Adapter/p/57388524/category=3D559255=
Message: 9.
Subject: They are available from different sources. There is a newer mic from
Aud=
io Techinica, AT9913iS, that is designed to directly connect to a smart pho=
ne. Don't expect much quality from either of these cheaper microphones. Rec=
ording with a smart phone does work, but they do not give you the control o=
ver your signal like a dedicated audio recorder, and are not the lowest of =
noise. One good App is called Field Recorder. iRig Recorder is a pretty goo=
d free app. Not all microphones work well with smart phones due to the lowe=
r power supply voltage supplied by the phone. A Sony PCM-M10 is one of your=
 better choices for a 3.5mm input recorder. The PCM-M10 are in short supply=
 now because they are being discontinued. Other choices might be on Ebay, O=
lympus LS-10, LS-12, LS-14. There are some cheap Chinese shotgun mics on Eb=
ay that are essentially the same as some with the Audio Technica Pro name o=
n them. =0D
=0D
I think you will find that singling out birds, recording them, and getting =
even a decent recording is difficult unless the bird is less than 30 feet a=
way. A shotgun mic helps by isolating the single subject better, but offers=
 no gain. A parabolic microphone is generally used when you need to isolate=
 a subject and the parabolic provides lots of gain. Wildtronics offers some=
 of the least expensive parabolic microphones available. The lowest priced =
Pro Mini with a Micro Mic PIP is almost within your budget, and would be a =
big improvement over a short shotgun mic.=0D
=0D
Bruce Rutkoski=0D
Owner=0D
Wildtronics.com=0D
Professional Parabolic Microphones    =0D
=0D
=0D
=0D