Re: Basic Bird Song/Call Recording Kit Recommendation

Subject: Re: Basic Bird Song/Call Recording Kit Recommendation
From: lamprophis1963
Date: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:17 am ((PDT))
Doug, =0D
=0D
 Another option you might explore if on a limited budget is to buy a parabo=
lic dish yourself online and buy an inexpensive microphone and put the kit =
together.=0D
 =0D
=0D
 There is a person on ebay who makes a nice cheap dish of reasonable size f=
or under $50.   Their ebay seller name  is sdill471. sdill471.  I bought a =
dish from them a few years ago and have been very happy with it.  =0D
 You will have to make your own handle, etc. for it but that isn't difficul=
t and the seller has some pictures of different suggestions.  I made a "box=
" for mine out of PVC because it fit my needs better than a handle.=0D
 It is a bit larger than many other dishes sold but no so large as to be un=
wieldy.   But the larger size gives you more reach and has better low frequ=
ency response (from what I've read).=0D
 =0D
=0D
 Then you could buy an inexpensive em-172 microphone and set it up yourself=
.  I recently bought a Clippy EM-172 from micbooster.com and have been very=
 happy with it.=0D
 =0D
=0D
 The whole parabolic set up would cost you less than $100 and you could the=
n get yourself a decent recorder and get out in the field.   Maybe down the=
 line you will want to upgrade or go to a different set up, but this will g=
et you out in the field making some recordings that you will be pleased wit=
h.=0D
 =0D
=0D
 I should add I have no affiliation with these people/companies or their co=
mpetitors.  I have bought products from both and been very satisfied.=0D
 =0D
=0D
 Chris=0D
  =0D