Re: bat recording - pettersson D240x

Subject: Re: bat recording - pettersson D240x
From: "Eric Benjamin" ericbenjamin2
Date: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:59 pm ((PDT))
I feel compelled to point out that even with a superior microphone, the pol=
ar pattern is extremely important. In typical ultrasonic recording scenario=
s one may not know where the source is.

Sent from my iPhone

ts] <> wrote:

> Hi Jonas,
>
> Here are a few recordings that were made with the CM16/CMPA microphone co=
nnected to an UltraSoundGate USB microphone at an original sample rate of 2=
50 kHz (taken from http://www.avisoft.com/sounds.htm). The phantom-powered =
version of the microphone (CM16/CMPA-P48) would produce similar recordings.

> 10-fold time-expanded:
>
> http://www.avisoft.com/sounds/u3.wav (Wart biter, Decticus verrucivorus)
> http://www.avisoft.com/sounds/con_dor.wav (Short-winged conehead, Conocep=
halus dorsalis)
> http://www.avisoft.com/sounds/chort_par.wav (Meadow grasshopper, Chorthip=
pus parallelus)

> http://www.avisoft.com/sounds/noctule2.wav (Noctule, Nyctalus noctula)
> http://www.avisoft.com/sounds/pipistrellus_pipistrellus_2.wav
> http://www.avisoft.com/sounds/pipistrellus_pipistrellus_3.wav
> http://www.avisoft.com/sounds/Pipistrellus_pygmaeus.wav
> http://www.avisoft.com/sounds/Pipistrellus_nathusii_2.wav
>

> 20-fold time-expanded:
>
> http://www.avisoft.com/sounds/Rhinolophus_hipposideros_3.wav
> http://www.avisoft.com/sounds/Rhinolophus_mehelyi.wav
> http://www.avisoft.com/sounds/Rhinolophus_blasii.wav
>

> > And I guess there is no way to have a demodulator with this setup for m=
onitoring purposes?

> Yes that is true. You would only have the level meter on the recorder as =
a signal indicator. It might therefore be useful to use a cheap heterodyne =
bat detector in parallel.

> Regards,
> Raimund

<*> Your email settings: