Re: Remote recording devices/traps

Subject: Re: Remote recording devices/traps
From: naturalcontemplative
Date: Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:53 am ((PST))
Hi Andrew,=0D
=0D
I have used the Wildlife Acoustics Song Meter SM3 extensively. It is waterp=
roof and very rugged. The timer is very flexible, you can create any schedu=
le you like. It is also big and heavy and the microphones are a little nois=
y. They have a newer model, the SM4 that claims to address those issues, bu=
t I have not used it. The Song Meters are expensive. Because of that I am b=
uilding my own using a Pelican case, an Olympus LS-7 recorder which has a t=
imer function as well as a sound-activated function, EM172 mic capsules, an=
d an Amazon Basics 10,000 mAh USB power bank to power it. Unfortunately, Th=
e LS-7 cannot shut down when externally powered, the way it does when using=
 the timer and internal batteries. So it has to be powered-on all the time,=
 which is why I am going for the highest capacity power bank I can find tha=
t will fit in the case. The battery drain is so low when not recording that=
 I think it will still last at least a week in the field. I'll let you all =
know how it works out.=0D
=0D
I have used the LS-7 on its own clipped to a tree with a gorilla pod. Becau=
se the battery life is excellent, and the unit powers down automatically be=
tween timed recordings, it can be left in the field for days or weeks with =
nothing but the AAA internal batteries. With its neoprene sleeve over it, i=
t resists modest moisture, but I have never dared to use it in a downpour. =
The LS-7 is no longer in production, but they do show up on eBay now and th=
en at less than $100. I got mine for $50, and it came with the neoprene sle=
eve, which has been useful. The Olympus DM-620 ($110) is currently availabl=
e and very similar to the LS-7. The main difference being that the DM-620 o=
nly records in 16 bit.=0D
=0D
I hope that's useful.=0D
=0D