[Nature Recordists] Digest Number 6539

To: "" <>
Subject: [Nature Recordists] Digest Number 6539
From: "" <>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 09:11:50 +0000
There are 4 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

1a. Re: EIN/Preamps
    From: Gianni Pavan
1b. Re: EIN/Preamps
    From: Jonathan Kawchuk
1c. Re: EIN/Preamps
    From: Gianni Pavan
1d. Re: EIN/Preamps
    From:  animalsounds

Messages
1a. Re: EIN/Preamps
    Posted by: "Gianni Pavan"  gpavan1960
    Date: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:51 am ((PST))

the EIN is the primary number I look for to select what I need, but then
other details are important as well. Unfortunately most of them are not
expressed in the specifications and need testing. I mean the cleanliness of
sound, the real frequency response and anti-aliasing filters, the shape of
the background noise above 20 kHz.

which presonus interface are you talking about ?

Gianni

--
Centro Interdisciplinare di Bioacustica e Ricerche Ambientali
Università degli Studi di Pavia

Messages in this topic (6)
1b. Re: EIN/Preamps
    Posted by: "Jonathan Kawchuk"  jonch070
    Date: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:17 am ((PST))

Thanks John and Gianni,

I'm looking at the Presonus Audiobox 44VSL
<http://www.presonus.com/products/AudioBox-44VSL/techspecs> which says an
EIN of 133 dB, 20 kHz BW, max gain, Rs=40Ω, A-wtd . I'm weighing that
between my current Apogee Duet
<http://www.apogeedigital.com/support/duet-firewire> (128dB @60dB gain 150
Ohm), Sound Devices USBpre2
<http://www.sounddevices.com/products/portable-audio-tools/usbpre2/specs>
(127db),
and RME Babyface Pro <http://babyface.rme-audio.de/> (unknown).

The Presonus has the best EIN, but it is the cheapest of the bunch, which
is what makes me curious!
ᐧ

    Date: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:38 am ((PST))

it appears very interesting, however the AudioBox 44VSL can't be USB bus
powered. The 22VSL can.

another ADC I think attractive for the small size and the 192k rate is the
ZOOM UAC-2, but its EIN is 125 !!!

Gianni

[naturerecordists] <>:

> Thanks John and Gianni,
>
> I'm looking at the Presonus Audiobox 44VSL
> <http://www.presonus.com/products/AudioBox-44VSL/techspecs> which says an
> EIN of 133 dB, 20 kHz BW, max gain, Rs=40Ω, A-wtd . I'm weighing that
> between my current Apogee Duet
> <http://www.apogeedigital.com/support/duet-firewire> (128dB @60dB gain
> 150 Ohm), Sound Devices USBpre2
> <http://www.sounddevices.com/products/portable-audio-tools/usbpre2/specs>
> (127db),
> and RME Babyface Pro <http://babyface.rme-audio.de/> (unknown).
>
> The Presonus has the best EIN, but it is the cheapest of the bunch, which
> is what makes me curious!
>

> On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 8:51 AM, Gianni Pavan
> [naturerecordists] <> wrote:
>

>> the EIN is the primary number I look for to select what I need, but then
>> other details are important as well. Unfortunately most of them are not
>> expressed in the specifications and need testing. I mean the cleanliness of
>> sound, the real frequency response and anti-aliasing filters, the shape of
>> the background noise above 20 kHz.
>>
>> which presonus interface are you talking about ?
>>
>> Gianni

>> [naturerecordists] <>:
>>

>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> I was snooping some gear and I was alarmed to find that some cheaper
>>> Presonus interfaces have an EIN rating better than the Sound Devices
>>> USBpre2 and close to that of the 722 (I know one is an interface and one is
>>> a recorder but I use mobile setups quite a bit so I look for both)
>>>
>>> As someone who values cleanliness and accuracy over colour, I thought
>>> taking EIN as the absolute test of preamp quality was the right course of
>>> action. But now that a $300 interface is beating a $1000 interface in this
>>> regard, I'm wondering if this checks out.
>>>
>>> So what is going on here? Does Presonus just make an amazing product in
>>> price and quality, or should I be looking at more than EIN when specking
>>> out preamps/interfaces/recorders? What should I be looking at?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> ᐧ
>>>

>> --
>> Centro Interdisciplinare di Bioacustica e Ricerche Ambientali
>> Università degli Studi di Pavia
>> Via Taramelli 24, 27100 Pavia
>> http://www.unipv.it/cibra
>> http://mammiferimarini.unipv.it

--
Centro Interdisciplinare di Bioacustica e Ricerche Ambientali
Università degli Studi di Pavia
Via Taramelli 24, 27100 Pavia
http://www.unipv.it/cibra
http://mammiferimarini.unipv.it

Messages in this topic (6)
1d. Re: EIN/Preamps
    Posted by:   animalsounds
    Date: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:00 am ((PST))

> I'm looking at the Presonus Audiobox 44VSL
> http://www.presonus.com/products/AudioBox-44VSL/techspecs which says an EIN
> of 133 dB, 20 kHz BW, max gain, Rs=40Ω, A-wtd . I'm weighing that between my
> current Apogee Duet http://www.apogeedigital.com/support/duet-firewire (128dB
> @60dB gain 150 Ohm), Sound Devices USBpre2
> http://www.sounddevices.com/products/portable-audio-tools/usbpre2/specs
> (127db), and RME Babyface Pro http://babyface.rme-audio.de/ (unknown).

 > The Presonus has the best EIN, but it is the cheapest of the bunch, which is
 > what makes me curious!

 Note that the Presonus EIN was measured at an unusually low Rs of 40 Ohms and
with A-weighting filter. This results in a significantly lower EIN number
compared to the other models that were measured at the commonly used source
impedance of 150 Ohms and without A-weighting. So, the Presonus is NOT better
than the competitors. It is obviously just a marketing trick...

 See also the specifications of the Sound Device 7xx recorders that list the
EIN values at different measurement conditions:

 722 Specs - Sound Devices, LLC | Audio Production Products
http://www.sounddevices.com/products/recorders/722/specs

 722 Specs - Sound Devices, LLC | Audio Production Products
http://www.sounddevices.com/products/recorders/722/specs Sound Devices, LLC:
Manufacturer of portable mixers, audio and video recorders for television,
feature film, and video production.

 View on www.sounddevices.com
http://www.sounddevices.com/products/recorders/722/specs

 Preview by Yahoo

 Regards,

 Raimund

 Avisoft Bioacoustics http://www.avisoft.com

 http://www.avisoft.com

 Avisoft Bioacoustics http://www.avisoft.com Avisoft-SASLab Pro - Bioacoustics
Laboratory Software is a versatile sound analysis, editing, classification and
synthesis tool.

 View on www.avisoft.com http://www.avisoft.com

 Preview by Yahoo

 ᐧ