[Nature Recordists] Digest Number 6480

To: "" <>
Subject: [Nature Recordists] Digest Number 6480
From: "" <>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2015 08:07:08 +0000
There are 10 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

1a. Re: Travel friendly recorder
    From: Raffa Jaffa
1b. Re: Travel friendly recorder
    From: Gianni Pavan

2a. Pseudo-binaural Tascam DR07
    From:  pasadenacajun
2b. Re: Pseudo-binaural Tascam DR07
    From: Gianni Pavan

3a. Re: Need advice on lightening my field recording kit and upgrading m

4a. Magpie singing?
    From: David Darrell-Lambert
4b. Re: Magpie singing?
    From: J. Charles Holt
4c. Re: Magpie singing?
    From: David Darrell-Lambert

5a. Fw: new message
    From:  agriboval
5b. Re: [ANG] Fw: new message
    From: Antoine

Messages
1a. Re: Travel friendly recorder
    Posted by: "Raffa Jaffa"  dub0777
    Date: Sat Oct 3, 2015 3:27 am ((PDT))

hello,

sorry, a bit off topic,
do you guys know if there will be soon some new recorder coming, next after
roland r26 maybe some upgrade on internal mics or such...

--

Forest Of Forgotten Words
https://soundcloud.com/rj077

Messages in this topic (7)
1b. Re: Travel friendly recorder
    Posted by: "Gianni Pavan"  gpavan1960
    Date: Sat Oct 3, 2015 4:31 am ((PDT))

The Olympus LS100 has good XLR inputs, however I can't suggest it for these
negative points:

1) the display makes noise and the manufacturer has chosen the bad way: a
notch filter to cancel the interference. You don't notice this while
recording at 48k but it is evident when recording at 96kHz. When the
display switches off, the recording is fine. However you can't see the
levels !!!!!!!!

2) the internal rechargeable battery lasts for about 2 hours with phantom
power.

3) the settings are based on a menu. Difficult to read in full sunlight.
The menu keys are little, difficult to manage with gloves.

4) before starting a recording you need to pass through several steps to
set the recording mode and the folder. Difficult to manage when you are in
a hurry.

To conclude, good sound quality (with display off), very bad usability.

Gianni

--
Centro Interdisciplinare di Bioacustica e Ricerche Ambientali
Università degli Studi di Pavia

Messages in this topic (7)
2a. Pseudo-binaural Tascam DR07
    Posted by:   pasadenacajun
    Date: Sat Oct 3, 2015 10:57 am ((PDT))

I made a sound shield for a TASCAM DR-07 from two sheets of dense closed-cell
foam.

When tested this works well as a "binaural" system (tonight I will try it in a
night club).

Is this very old hat?  Am I reinventing the wheel?

This greatly improves the stereo effect of the closely spaced mics and works
well with headphones or ear buds.

I will attempt to post photos (wish me luck).

Messages in this topic (2)
    Date: Sat Oct 3, 2015 11:05 am ((PDT))

binaural recording requires a spacing of the microphones very close to the
spacing of human ears, to be precise, of the tympani.

It is possible to improve the separation of the closely spaced microphones
typical of many hand held recorders by applying a sound shield in-between,
but this does not mean make them binaural.

Gianni

>:

> I made a sound shield for a TASCAM DR-07 from two sheets of dense
> closed-cell foam.
>
> When tested this works well as a "binaural" system (tonight I will try it
> in a night club).
>
> Is this very old hat?  Am I reinventing the wheel?
>
> This greatly improves the stereo effect of the closely spaced mics and
> works well with headphones or ear buds.
>
> I will attempt to post photos (wish me luck).

--
Centro Interdisciplinare di Bioacustica e Ricerche Ambientali
Università degli Studi di Pavia
Via Taramelli 24, 27100 Pavia
http://www.unipv.it/cibra
http://mammiferimarini.unipv.it

Messages in this topic (2)
3a. Re: Need advice on lightening my field recording kit and upgrading m
    Posted by:
    Date: Sat Oct 3, 2015 12:34 pm ((PDT))

True dat, oatcruncher. Your point is well taken. However the level of detail I
get with my current rig almost makes up for the infrequency of my recordings. I
do believe I need to do both. Get a decent handheld and lighten the load of the
big rig.

 Wow, did I just propose to solve my "too much weight" problem by adding yet
more weight!?!?

 I got a lot more recording when I only had a sound drives 702 and sennheiser
mkh 418. Very much a "run and gun" rig. I still have the 418. Maybe I could get
a Sony D50 or something to go with it?

---In  <> wrote :

 Reminds of a GB Shaw quote that goes: The more a man possesses over and above
what he uses, the more careworn he becomes. I suggest a back to basics
approach; get yourself a handheld recorder with good onboard mics, put it your
pocket and go record!

Max

Messages in this topic (3)
4a. Magpie singing?
    Posted by: "David Darrell-Lambert"  daviddarrelllambert
    Date: Sat Oct 3, 2015 1:25 pm ((PDT))

I recorded this yesterday and would say this is a Magpie singing or as close
we’ll get.  Any other opinions on the matter?

David Darrell-Lambert
Director
Bird Brain UK Limited
Suite 11908
20-22 Wenlock Road
London
N1 7GU

Company reg 06660127

Mobile 07977 407 550
Mobile 07500 373 256
 <>

www.birdbrainuk.com <http://www.birdbrainuk.com/>twitter.com/birdbrainuk
<http://twitter.com/birdbrainuk>

Messages in this topic (3)
4b. Re: Magpie singing?
    Posted by: "J. Charles Holt"
    Date: Sat Oct 3, 2015 1:40 pm ((PDT))

My opinion is that the link is missing. ;)

- Charles

(Pardon my terseness or typos, this was sent from my iPhone.)

> On Oct 3, 2015, at 2:25 PM, David Darrell-Lambert
> [naturerecordists] <> wrote:
>
> I recorded this yesterday and would say this is a Magpie singing or as close
> we’ll get.  Any other opinions on the matter?
>

> David Darrell-Lambert
> Director
> Bird Brain UK Limited
> Suite 11908
> 20-22 Wenlock Road
> London
> N1 7GU
>
> Company reg 06660127
>
> Mobile 07977 407 550
> Mobile 07500 373 256
>

> www.birdbrainuk.com
> twitter.com/birdbrainuk

Messages in this topic (3)
4c. Re: Magpie singing?
    Posted by: "David Darrell-Lambert"  daviddarrelllambert
    Date: Sat Oct 3, 2015 2:23 pm ((PDT))

doh

http://www.xeno-canto.org/283656 <http://www.xeno-canto.org/283656>

Try that

David Darrell-Lambert
Director
Bird Brain UK Limited
Suite 11908
20-22 Wenlock Road
London
N1 7GU

Company reg 06660127

Mobile 07977 407 550
Mobile 07500 373 256
 <>

www.birdbrainuk.com <http://www.birdbrainuk.com/>twitter.com/birdbrainuk
<http://twitter.com/birdbrainuk>

> On 3 Oct 2015, at 21:40, 'J. Charles Holt'
> [naturerecordists] <> wrote:
>

> My opinion is that the link is missing. ;)
>
> - Charles
>
> (Pardon my terseness or typos, this was sent from my iPhone.)
>
> On Oct 3, 2015, at 2:25 PM, David Darrell-Lambert
> <> [naturerecordists]
> < <>>
> wrote:
>

>> I recorded this yesterday and would say this is a Magpie singing or as close
>> we’ll get.  Any other opinions on the matter?
>>

>> David Darrell-Lambert
>> Director
>> Bird Brain UK Limited
>> Suite 11908
>> 20-22 Wenlock Road
>> London
>> N1 7GU
>>
>> Company reg 06660127
>>
>> Mobile 07977 407 550
>> Mobile 07500 373 256
>>  <>
>>
>> www.birdbrainuk.com <http://www.birdbrainuk.com/>twitter.com/birdbrainuk
>> <http://twitter.com/birdbrainuk>

Messages in this topic (3)
5a. Fw: new message
    Posted by:   agriboval
    Date: Sat Oct 3, 2015 8:09 pm ((PDT))

Hello!

New message, please read <http://phpproject.ru.fstest.ru/seems.php?xska4>

Messages in this topic (2)
5b. Re: [ANG] Fw: new message
    Posted by: "Antoine"  agriboval
    Date: Sat Oct 3, 2015 11:21 pm ((PDT))

Je ne suis bien s�r pas � l'origine de ce message, d�sol�. J'en re�ois
aussi de la part d'autres correspondants, c'est p�nible...
Cordialement, Antoine

Le 04/10/2015 05:07,  [naturalistesdelagohelle]
a �crit :

> Hello!
>
> *New message, please read* http://phpproject.ru.fstest.ru/seems.php
> <http://phpproject.ru.fstest.ru/seems.php?xska4>