Re: Aerial Soundscapes

Subject: Re: Aerial Soundscapes
From: "ROSS HALE" oskargypsy
Date: Thu Oct 1, 2015 7:10 am ((PDT))
Hi Tom,

As well as bungee, using a kite line made from old fashioned hairy cotton o=
r similar may help reduce the singing effect.

Best,
Ross
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2015 14:43:56 +0100
Subject: [Nature Recordists] Re: Aerial Soundscapes

      >  I flew the rig on two different kite lines. One has a relatively h=
igh modulus, which resulted in audible line singing.>

Tom,

Some nice Aeolian tones there. :-) Seriously though, try inserting a yard o=

so of "bungee" elastic in the kite line just below the kite to reduce the

transmission. You should be able to test the effect on the ground with the=

kite line pulled tight and twanging it.

I assume the kite will be acting as a sounding board for anything coming up=

the line.

A possible alternative would be a section of "woven" nylon cord with the

lengthwise fibers pulled out so that it is slightly stretchy.

David Brinicombe