Re: Aerial Soundscapes

Subject: Re: Aerial Soundscapes
From: inetd_conf
Date: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:02 pm ((PDT))
Rig version 1.0 has now flown, and is now back on the bench for further wor=
k.

 David Brinicombe, your advice was spot on. The combination of a cloth/fur =
windshield and a 40Hz low cut filter let me make several recordings with mi=
nimal wind noise in 6-7kt variable wind. Unfortunately something else I sho=
uld've put more thought into wound up dominating the recordings: line singi=
ng.

 I flew the rig on two different kite lines. One has a relatively high modu=
lus, which resulted in audible line singing. The other has a lower modulus =
which served to reduce the singing, but not entirely remove it. The line si=
nging dominates the recordings to the point that it's tough to get a sense =
of how much stereo separation I was getting in the recording.

 I have a couple of ideas for dealing with the line noise. On one of the fl=
ights I attached a weight to the kite line just above and just below the ri=
g. This basically causes an impedance mismatch on the kite line, which atte=
nuates higher frequencies between the two weights. Unfortunately this was w=
hile using the high modulus line, so it didn't get rid of the line singing =
completely.

 The larger issue, I'm pretty sure, is that the rig provides a continuous h=
ard connection between the line and the microphones. So it's the equivalent=
 of mounting a microphone rigidly in a stand, then placing the stand on top=
 of a motor with bad bearings. Adding just one compliant component in the r=
ig between the line and the mic should have a big positive effect.

 There are several ways to do this. Some are easier than others. For round =
two of testing I'm going to take one of the easier approaches and just give=
 it a try. If it works well enough for me to answer the basic question of w=
hether this is worth it, I'll take a look at some of the more complicated, =
but better-suited approaches.

 Here's a sixty-second clip from one of the test flights. Lots of line sing=
ing with some waves in the background:

 Olson Wing On Kite Line Over Mau U Mae https://soundcloud.com/tnbenedict/o=
lson-wing-on-kite-line-over-mau-u-mae

 https://soundcloud.com/tnbenedict/olson-wing-on-kite-line-over-mau-u-mae

 Olson Wing On Kite Line Over Mau U Mae https://soundcloud.com/tnbenedict/o=
lson-wing-on-kite-line-over-mau-u-mae This was made using a Tascam DR-05 an=
d an Olson Wing with Primo BT-EM172 capsules suspended from a kite line ove=
r Mau `u Mae Beach on the Big Island o...

 View on soundcloud.com https://soundcloud.com/tnbenedict/olson-wing-on-kit=
e-line-over-mau-u-mae
 Preview by Yahoo

 And here's a contact recording of line scream I made using the higher modu=
lus line earlier in the day:

 Kite Line Scream - Contact on Carabiner https://soundcloud.com/tnbenedict/=
kite-line-scream-contact-on-carabiner

 https://soundcloud.com/tnbenedict/kite-line-scream-contact-on-carabiner

 Kite Line Scream - Contact on Carabiner https://soundcloud.com/tnbenedict/=
kite-line-scream-contact-on-carabiner Contact microphone recording of kite =
line scream #150 Cored Dacron kite line 6' rokkaku kite 6kt variable wind P=
iezo contact microphone attached to a cara...

 View on soundcloud.com https://soundcloud.com/tnbenedict/kite-line-scream-=
contact-on-carabiner
 Preview by Yahoo

Cheers,