Re: Workflow

Subject: Re: Workflow
From: madl74
Date: Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:52 pm ((PDT))
> I brought along some recording gear on the trip, and now I have about 300=
 hours to sift through.

Oliver,

If you already have detailed notes, skip the next bit.

When I was a professional mobile Film Recordist with the BBC, the prime
identification was on-tape as a verbal identification or "ident". With
synchronous sound with separate tape and film, of course we had the
clapperboard either at the start of a take or an end board. Film Crews were=

often minimal and without a production secretary taking notes. This made
sound idents very useful to the Film Editor especially with non-sync
supplementary "wildtracks".

For instance an ident could be: "End ident, that was a train puffing out of=

XYZ station." This track could then be used to extend the sound over the
next picture edit. When we went over to videotape with the camera recording=

the sound, this became a problem, but we could persuade the camaraman to ru=
on sometimes with a hand over the lens, as tape was cheap unlike film stock=
.
BTW this was not a sexist term - we had "female cameramen" also. "Cameraman=
"
was the job and "female" was the gender.

For logging recordings, one suggestion if you need to play back the
recordings to make notes, would be to re-record - possibly at low quality,=

and dictate notes while you remember the details. This should give you a
structure to base the database on.

Golden rule - keep all your originals. You may change your mind later.

>  5. Does anyone have suggestions for speeding up the process? Has anyone =
had success listening at faster speeds?

Yes, and also by using a sound editor with a waveform or spectrogram.
Speeding up reduces the timing data time and you can also skim through the=

less interesting parts. With practice, you can recognise quite a lot at
double speed or even faster.

I have used remote mics in my woods and recorded long runs, sometimes
overnight. On an extended waveform display, I can see bursts of activity an=
with a spectrogram, I can recognise specific calls like owls, for instance.=

This way you can quickly do a first run analysis with timings.

Have fun with your 300 hours. :-)

David Brinicombe

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional