Re: Extension Cable for Mic - better to extend XLR or 3.5mm Stereo?

Subject: Re: Extension Cable for Mic - better to extend XLR or 3.5mm Stereo?
From: "Jim Mooney" jmooney776
Date: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:03 pm ((PDT))
Got the cable and mic together and all works well with the Oly LS-10.  Inte=
restingly though it=92s only a 3 pin XLR connector on the mic, I guess with=
 it being the battery powered unbalanced version (the AT825 is the same mic=
 but runs on phantom power) it only needs the 3 connectors.  This, of cours=
e, makes finding a quality XLR extension cable even easier.  Windscreens an=
d AT shock mounts are available on Amazon so those are coming.

My next question is: Does anyone make an adapter to put a mic holder like t=
his http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006NMQJO?psc=3D1&redirect=3Dtrue&ref=
_=3Dox_sc_sfl_title_9&smid=3DA17MC6HOH9AVE6 <http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ=
ct/B0006NMQJO?psc=3D1&redirect=3Dtrue&ref_=3Dox_sc_sfl_title_9&smid=3DA17MC=
6HOH9AVE6> on a camera tripod 1/4-20 mount?  I have two really sturdy tripo=
d and was hoping I could press one in to use to hold the microphone rather =
than buy a dedicated stand, or is there a flaw with this plan that I=92ve o=
verlooked?

Best,

Jim

> On Aug 6, 2015, at 1:51 AM, Dan Dugan  [naturerecordists]=
 <> wrote:

> > Fwiw =96 I have tried to extend a plug in power microphone before using=
 a stereo 3.5mm cable and it did not work =96 ended up having a lot of nois=
e and hum.

> > Apparently plug in power over long cable lengths is not recommended. Ha=
ve not had any issues with long XLR cables using phantom power.

> You must have had a wiring problem. My =93light system=94 uses cables ove=
r 100=92 for four channels of PIP mics and works perfectly.