Re: Something new and interesting from "nature" magazine

Subject: Re: Something new and interesting from "nature" magazine
From: madl74
Date: Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:02 am ((PDT))
 [naturerecordists] writes:

> 3D-printed device helps computers solve cocktail-party problem http://www=
.nature.com/news/3d-printed-device-helps-computers-solve-cocktail-party-pro=
blem-1.18173

And:
http://phys.org/news/2015-08-metamaterial-device-cocktail-party-problem.htm=

An interesting device but I'm not going to pay money for the details. What =
would like to know is what this device sounds like in practice and in
particular what the excess noise figures are. If it is in effect a multiple=

mic array, this could be higher.

Four small cardioids would give the same effect but without a number
crunching computer. I csn't see how this device could be scaled down, as
claimed, to hearing aid sizes with the same frequency responses. Maybe it
would be configured as a hat. :-)

David Brinicombe