[Nature Recordists] Digest Number 6405

To: "" <>
Subject: [Nature Recordists] Digest Number 6405
From: "" <>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 08:11:35 +0000
There are 3 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

1a. Re: The peacful sounds of the waves
    From: Mark Godfrey
1b. Re: The peacful sounds of the waves
    From: Arnþór Helgason

2a. Re: Which is better regarding gain and sensitivity - samples
    From: J. Charles Holt

Messages
1a. Re: The peacful sounds of the waves
    Posted by: "Mark Godfrey"
    Date: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:50 am ((PDT))

A very enjoyable recording - well done.  I have a question regarding your MS
rig - how are you mounting the Rode mics and are you providing wind protection
for your setup?  Thanks - Mark

Messages in this topic (5)
1b. Re: The peacful sounds of the waves
    Posted by: "Arnþór Helgason"
    Date: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:57 am ((PDT))

Hello, Mark,
Thank you for your question.

I have a Blimp from Røde. The NT-2A is mounted into it so that the
buttons are facing to the left. The mounting was made by my friend,
Magnús Bergsson.
The NT-55 is mounted sleightly over the top of the NT-2A (held by 2
elastic bands". The membra of the NT-55 is facing forward so it makes
90°towards the sides of the NT-2A. I shall try to post a photo of the
setup after the weekend and maybe I can send it to your personal email.
Sometimes I use the dead cat or what the wind protection is called from
Røde as the Blimp is quite sensitive to the breeze so common in
Iceland.  On some occasions I have to cut off 60-100 khZ if the wind is
strong.
Regarding the configuration of the MS-stereo, You need to do some tests
of how far forward the NT-55 should be.
I plug the NT-55 to the left channel and the NT-2A to the right. When I
test the stereo I set the level of both channels equally and then reduce
the volume of the left channel until the stereo effect is acceptible.
The Nagra has a special tuning for listening to MS-stereo, but preamps
as SD-302 can be set to transfer the MS-stereo directly into the recorder.
Some people use other rigs, but this is for the time being the most
affordable one for me.

I hope you can understand this setup inspite of my broken English.
Hopefully someone can add something to it.

Best regards,
Arnthor

Þann 17.6.2015 14:50, skrifaði Mark Godfrey
[naturerecordists]:
> A very enjoyable recording - well done.  I have a question regarding
> your MS rig - how are you mounting the Rode mics and are you providing
> wind protection for your setup?  Thanks - Mark

Messages in this topic (5)
2a. Re: Which is better regarding gain and sensitivity - samples
    Posted by: "J. Charles Holt"
    Date: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:40 am ((PDT))

Thanks, Bryan. Be aware that if you do it this way it downloads the entire
folder as a zip file, which is almost 400 MB.

> On Jun 17, 2015, at 1:24 AM, Bryan Celano  [naturerecordists]
> <> wrote:
>

> Hi All,
>
> Here is the direct download link (change the zero to a one at the end, and
> the download should start right away):
>

> <https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4ou8oqxf4iosfuo/AADwQfyf9nH25VU_RMBeLjMAa?dl=0>https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4ou8oqxf4iosfuo/AADwQfyf9nH25VU_RMBeLjMAa?dl=1
>  <https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4ou8oqxf4iosfuo/AADwQfyf9nH25VU_RMBeLjMAa?dl=1>
>
> Cheers!
> Bryan

> Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 20:02:07 -0600
> Subject: Re: [Nature Recordists] Re: Which is better regarding gain and
> sensitivity - samples
>

> OK, I�ve uploaded the files to Dropbox (ignore the invitation to sign up for
> Dropbox, you don�t need an account to access the files):
> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4ou8oqxf4iosfuo/AADwQfyf9nH25VU_RMBeLjMAa?dl=0
> <https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4ou8oqxf4iosfuo/AADwQfyf9nH25VU_RMBeLjMAa?dl=0>
>
> They�re sorted into different folders, each of the files is around 10 seconds
> long. There�s noise at the beginning and end of the internal mic recordings
> where I stuffed it under a beanbag for noise dampening. Only silence on the
> ME66.
>
> On Jun 16, 2015, at 3:59 PM,  <>
> [naturerecordists] <
> <>> wrote:
>
> > Again, please let me know if people would like access to the audio files
> > and I�ll clean them up and put them somewhere for easy access.
>
> Yes please but don't bother cleaning them up. Short quarter minute or so
> quiet sections with hiss to compare are enough.

Messages in this topic (19)

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: