[Nature Recordists] Digest Number 6403

To: "" <>
Subject: [Nature Recordists] Digest Number 6403
From: "" <>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 08:11:20 +0000
There are 5 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

1. the Rode blimp
    From: Philipp Schroeter

2. The peacful sounds of the waves
    From: Arnþór Helgason

3a. Re: Which is better regarding gain and sensitivity?
    From: J. Charles Holt
3b. Re: Which is better regarding gain and sensitivity?
    From: John Crockett

4. Conraua crassipes call recording
    From: Sandra Goutte

Messages
1. the Rode blimp
    Posted by: "Philipp Schroeter"  philippnimmtauf
    Date: Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:36 am ((PDT))

Hello all,
I am planning to buy a rode blimp for my nt4. I also took the rycote
products into consideration but they are twice as expensive and this is
a bit too much for me.
Does anyone of you use the rode blimp and could tell me a bit about it?
Does it offer a good protection even against heavier wind noise?
best regards from Germany
Philipp Schröter

Messages in this topic (1)
2. The peacful sounds of the waves
    Posted by: "Arnþór Helgason"
    Date: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:40 am ((PDT))

This morning I went with my friend, Hrafn Baldursson, to record the
sound of the beech innermost at Stöðvarfjörður in East Iceland. This
part of the recording started around 8:20.

The peaceful sounds are best enjoyed in goot headphones with moderate
volume.

Recorded on 24 bits 48 kHz with a Nagra Ares BB+ using Røde NT-2A ant
NT-55 microphones in an MS setup.

  http://hljod.blog.is

Best regards,
Arnthor Helgason

Messages in this topic (1)
3a. Re: Which is better regarding gain and sensitivity?
    Posted by: "J. Charles Holt"
    Date: Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:14 pm ((PDT))

One more album has been added with spectrograms for the PCM-M10 with a 200 ohm
1 watt resistor between pins 2 and 3 of the XLR, mic sensitivity set to high
and gain between 0 and 10: http://imgur.com/a/NYBNE <http://imgur.com/a/NYBNE>

Again, all albums can be seen here: http://pebmac.imgur.com
<http://pebmac.imgur.com/>

In short, I’m not sure what I’m looking at. There’s clearly a harmonic showing
up with the resistor that isn’t present with the mics. Any idea what might be
causing that?

Again, please let me know if people would like access to the audio files and
I’ll clean them up and put them somewhere for easy access. I really appreciate
everyone’s help and insight on this—I’m learning an incredible amount in a very
short period of time!

– Charles

Messages in this topic (14)
3b. Re: Which is better regarding gain and sensitivity?
    Posted by: "John Crockett"  naturalcontemplative
    Date: Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:59 pm ((PDT))

Hi Charles,

Without a reference signal, these don't mean much to me. The way I do
this (by ear, not visually) is to record a 1 khz reference signal,
pause the recorder, turn off everything that is making noise (or put
the recorder under the blankets) and then record the "silence." I do
that for a variety of gain/sensitivity combinations - without moving
the recorder or with a mark so I can put the recorder back exactly
where it was in relation to the signal source -  and then I normalize
all of the recordings so the signal level is the same and I listen to
the part that was recorded without the signal and compare the noise
levels.

As Vicki pointed out, on the LS-11 the signal-to-noise is best on a
sensitivity of "low" and a gain of "10" recorded at 24 bits. It is
also good at sensitivity "high" and gain of "10" but that tends to be
too sensitive for most recording situations. The lower gain settings
at either sensitivity are noisier then the highest gain setting. This
has been explained by someone here in terms of the electronics, but I
am not an engineer so the explanation has gone out of mind.

I have not done these tests with the PCM-M10, because I do not own
one, but I do have access to one and will give it a whirl later in
the week. Before I owned the LS-11, I recorded with a Sony MZRH1
minidisc recorder, and that yielded the best s/n (to my ears at
least) at high sensitivity and a gain level of about 60% (18 out of
30). For what it's worth.

John

John Crockett

Let us live in harmony with Earth
And all creatures
That our lives may be a blessing

On Jun 15, 2015, at 3:14 PM, 'J. Charles Holt'
 [naturerecordists] wrote:

> One more album has been added with spectrograms for the PCM-M10
> with a 200 ohm 1 watt resistor between pins 2 and 3 of the XLR, mic
> sensitivity set to high and gain between 0 and 10: http://imgur.com/
> a/NYBNE
>
> Again, all albums can be seen here: http://pebmac.imgur.com
>
> In short, I�m not sure what I�m looking at. There�s clearly a
> harmonic showing up with the resistor that isn�t present with the
> mics. Any idea what might be causing that?
>
> Again, please let me know if people would like access to the audio
> files and I�ll clean them up and put them somewhere for easy
> access. I really appreciate everyone�s help and insight on this�I�m
> learning an incredible amount in a very short period of time!
>
> � Charles

Messages in this topic (14)
4. Conraua crassipes call recording
    Posted by: "Sandra Goutte"  froggologist
    Date: Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:21 pm ((PDT))

Dear fellow Nature recordists,

I am looking desperately for recordings of the call of the African frog
Conraua crassipes and other species of the genus Conraua as well.

Please contact me if you have!
Thanks!
Sandra.

Messages in this topic (1)