Re: setting up two Sennheiser ME66 for stereo recording

Subject: Re: setting up two Sennheiser ME66 for stereo recording
From: madl74
Date: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:12 am ((PDT))
> I was wondering if anyone has tried using two Sennheiser ME66 to capture =
in stereo the morning chorus of birds.

Tom,

My standard wildlife rig is two MKH 416's which are similar to the ME66 in=

response. I did a lot of experimentation and testing and finished up with a=

15 to 20 degree angle with effectively coincident capsules.

The problem with using gunmics off-axis is that the side responsesa are ver=
variable and that is why I found a narrower angle produced a better centre=

image. Left and right are roughly twice the separation angle, but all of
these parameters can be checked with the shaking peanuts test. You set thet=

rig up on a non-reflective surface like grass and walk 360 degrees around i=
rig shaking a canister of nuts and calling out angles.

I use the concept of sonels or "sound pixels" to describe the image of a
stereo rig. Ideally on a walkaround you should be able to distinguish nine=

sonels between full left and full right, but that is pushing it. Five sonel=
should be possible to distinguish - left; half left; centre; half right;
right. The four in-betweens are a bonus.

I also made the discovery that the rig sounded best on the ground and I've=

since found that applies to many other mic rigs as well. Mic stands are for=

speaking, singers and instrumentalists. also the mic and windshields don't=

blow over down low.

I also tried separating the mics so the capsules were not directly above
each other but separated. The clear left and right sweet spots went fuzzy
and the off-centre image was poor.

The great benefit of the crossed gunmic rig are greater rejection of tree
noise and ground echoes, good rear rejection and an x-y type signal which
can be post mixed and varied. People forget about top and bottom mic

with height.

There are recordings and more on the rig on:
www.stowford.org/recordings.htm
and the peanut test on:
http://www.stowford.org/recordings.htm#stereotest

David Brinicombe