Re: A noisy recording

Subject: Re: A noisy recording
From: rock_scallop
Date: Wed Apr 1, 2015 3:17 pm ((PDT))
Hi Philipp,=0D
It sounds (and looks in a spectral view) to me like the noise you are descr=
ibing is ambient background noise, mostly below 1500 Hz. Most of the bird s=
ounds are above 1500 Hz. I think you could adjust the recording using a par=
abolic equalizer to lower some of that noisy range a few dB without affecti=
ng the bird sounds very much, and still maintain a natural feel to the back=
ground ambience.  Or in the field, getting at least twice as close to the f=
oreground birds may also make a noticeable difference. =0D
Also, I notice above around 8 kHz there is a ledge in the recording that ma=
kes me wonder if some filter was turned on - on the mic or the recorder.=0D
Also, be aware that some NT-4s came with a XL5F ->3.5mm cable with a built =
in -12 dB pad, which could adversely affect the quality of a nature recordi=
ng.  =0D
=0D
John Hartog