A noisy recording

Subject: A noisy recording
From: "Philipp Schroeter" philippnimmtau=
Date: Wed Apr 1, 2015 12:50 am ((PDT))

Hello Group,
I bought a new setup recently, a fostex fr2-le and a Rode nt4, which I
am testing outside these days. And, as I am not so experienced in
analysing background noise, I need help from some of you wiser members
here. I would like to share a short piece of a recording I made two days
ago. And I would like to know what kind of background noise i am facing
in this recording.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43314821/example.wav
You will hear a greater flock of sparrows and thrushes chatting and
twittering in a distance, and you will hear some clear hissing. And I am
wondering whether it is mainly a technical hissing sound coming from the
equipment I use or a constant environmental hissing from distant
streets, wind etc. which the mic captures very well. Please take a
second and listen to this short example and tell me what your ears tell you=
.

If it is mainly a hiss from the mic or the recorder: Do I have to set
other gain levels? (mic trims are both at about 75%, recording level
about 70%). Or is this the usual hiss of this setup and I have to
improve the situation by getting closer to the birds?
Thanks for any advice
Philipp

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional