Re: Faux Fur and off-axis response

Subject: Re: Faux Fur and off-axis response
From: madl74
Date: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:18 pm ((PDT))
> Using foam inside the fur, protects the mic=C2=B4s when it rains and the =
fur
> gets all wet. With foam inside, the fur also dries up much quicker.

Klas,

I did a load of experiments in the 1960's when the first "cage" windshields=

came out - made by Sennheiser out of fibreglass but rather fragile. This wa=
before Rycotes appeared.

What I discovered was that if you put anything around a gunmic of whatever=

length, the off-axis frequency response goes to pieces. It's bad enough
off-axis with a naked gunmic, but with any wrapping that is comparable to
the wavelengths of the wanted sound in diameter or thickness, it can
radically affect the off-axis responses.

Foam affects the speed of sound and can cause reflections from the outside=

and inside faces. Any cage windshield surface or foam inner layer will also=

cause extra reflections and likely actual standing waves inside a
windshield. In practice these are tolerable as the mic is unusable outdoors=

bare, but back indoors, the windshield comes off to get a cleaner sound.

Gunmics are designed to be used on-axis but when using them off-axis as wit=
stereo in an A-B or M-S setup, the only check is to see if the frequency
distortions are tolerable. If you had on-axis responses like the side
.

Ears are the only true test as even frequency response curves are smoothed=

out with the use of warble tones instead of set frequencies. This is why
cheap mics sold with nice smooth curves sound worse than expensive mics
which don't look much better on paper. Our ears know better. :-)

David Brinicombe

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: