Re: Faux Fur for Windscreen?

Subject: Re: Faux Fur for Windscreen?
From: madl74
Date: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:21 pm ((PDT))
> I've interested to know this too. I think one of the commercial windscree=
n manufacturers can supply small amounts, but I can't remember the details =
or pricing.

Peter,

I've seen it from a British company with a big markup.

> I've found stuff that looks ok at local sewing supplies, but the backing =
isn't designed to be sound transparent. The weave of the backing is too clo=
se, and the holes are filled with the glue used to attach the fur.

That's no good. I got some soft backed false fur from my local cloth shop.=

(UK) It is used for kids dressing gowns along with the fluffy "sheepskin"
type.

I used the thin sheepskin fabric to make my first raingags which I sold to=

the BBC and which were copied by Rycote as windsocks without the
rainproofing. I was working on the BBC Police series "Softly Softly" which=

had such a tight schedule we had to continue filming in the pouring rain an=
write it into the script. Tough in those days.

I went through the fabric shop wrapping various types of cloth over my head=

to see if the sound came through OK. Fine silky fabrics which show some
resistance to being blown through are the basic windgag type, but the
knitted type fabrics, like T shirt cloth, also work. If it is too dense or=

two tight or too thick, you can hear the muffling effect. They had some
false fur just like the Rycote covers. I tried to explain what I was doing=

to the shopkeeper, who looked bemused. :-)

BTW, the false fur doesn't actually need an inner "silk" layer. Also the
practice of putting a foam gag under a basket does nothing except alter the=

frequency response for the worse. False fur covers the basket texture which=

can whistle.

David Brinicombe