Re: Tool for learning species calls?

Subject: Re: Tool for learning species calls?
Date: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:26 am ((PST))
Chris and other interested members,

You make a very good point about starting "small" and locally. I've spent t=
he last 20 years writing books on learning bird song and recording bird son=
gs, by way of illustrating my descriptions. My website www.birdsongidentifi=
cation gives a glimpse into some of it. I have already brought it to Ben's =
attention off list. I would add one thing to what you say. Phonetics and mn=
emonics (what the bird is "saying"), are not just telling us "what" the bir=
d is saying. Those who have suggested that you can't describe bird songs in=
 words, I would say, are missing this point. These tools don't have to repl=
icate our spoken language. I find them extremely helpful in the teaching an=
d the learning.

As well as representing what a bird "says", they also give us an idea of ho=
w long the song (or phrase) is, how fast or slow it is, or the emphasis on =
certain syllables, as well as other nuances of the specific song. The roost=
er does not say "COC-A-DOODLE-DOO", but it gives us a good idea of the leng=
th of the song, the general breakdown of syllables, and italics could tell =
us to emphasize the last syllable. A short description of its features woul=
d help implant this song in our memory bank.....a handle for future referen=
ce. Even if the particular representation doesn't make sense to us, we have=
 learned a lot about the song.

Too often phonetics are offered as stand alone descriptions, with little ex=
planation, and the nuances of the song are left up to us to decipher. Even =
a questionable phonetic (one that "doesn't make sense" to us) may be more i=
nformative than we realize, at first glance. That's not to say that it can'=
t be personalized, after considering what it teaches us about that particul=
ar song, if that is going to help in the learning process. Meaningful descr=
iption and explanation are every bit as important as the actual phonetic pr=
esented, if we are going to understand what the bird is "saying".

Sorry if I rambled here. I do have a special interest in this topic.

All the best,
Ernie Jardine