Re: UK wildlife summer 2014 recordings

Subject: Re: UK wildlife summer 2014 recordings
From: "Daan Hendriks" daan_humanworkshop
Date: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:59 am ((PST))
Hi David,

I use a pair of JrF hydrophones, together with two impedance converters to
get a stronger signal out of them when used with my Tascam DR680 recorder.
In terms of placement, I literally just dropped them both in the water at
about 1 to 2 meters distance from each other, and kept moving them around
whilst monitoring until i found spots with the most interesting sonic
activity. I've also only had varying degrees of success with hydrophones
myself. Whenever I did get to record a lot of underwater/insect activity it
was usually in quite muddy or dirty looking ponds, and in the case of these
recordings there were a lot of reeds and plants in the water, so that might
have contributed as well (as well as time of year of course).

On the topic of hydrophones, I just heard about this article on the BBC
about newly discovered songs of bowhead whales, and how scientists now have
hydrophones monitoring under the arctic ice caps all year round:
http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150108-unique-whale-songs-discovered

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 12:19 AM,  [naturerecordists] <
> wrote:

> > <
> http://daanhendriks.co.uk/wildlife-nature-sound-recording/hydrophone-reco=
rdings-farting-plants-screeching-beetles/