Re: Surround Sound Recording - bats

Subject: Re: Surround Sound Recording - bats
From: madl74
Date: Fri Jan 2, 2015 8:20 pm ((PST))
> There are bats and insects up there, so if the mics can do it, it's scien=
tifically helpful to record wider bandwidth than humans can hear.

Dan,

I'm into bats and they are a whole new world. 96Khz divided by 2 is a bit
low for many bat calls and you have to bring the frequency down anyway to
hear them. Among my bat detectors, I have a Ciel CDP102 dual bat detector
which can work in stereo. It is a heterodyne detector which does an
arithmetic frequency downshift with a digital frequency display.

Warning - you can get hooked on bat calls if you get enthusiastic. :-) You=

can also discover ultrasonic insects and HF calls from small mammals and
birds.

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat_detector#Heterodyne
and