Re: annotation/labeling of wav files

Subject: Re: annotation/labeling of wav files
From: "Peter Shute" pshute2
Date: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:58 pm ((PDT))
Audacity lets you add "label tracks", to which you can add labels at times =
or time ranges. You can have several label tracks, which is handy if you wa=
nt to separate different types of labels. The labels are stored in plain te=
xt in the project file, not in the wav file, and are therefore searchable w=
ith normal file searching tools. You can't specify frequencies in the label=
 positions, unfortunately.

Note that adding thousands of labels makes Audacity very sluggish when you =
try to add more.

I've started using Raven Pro so I can store frequency information too. Thes=
e are stored separately in what I think are called Selection Files. You can=
 have as many as you want. I don't think there's any built in way of knowin=
g which selection file belongs to which wav file, so you have to be careful=
 how you name them so they don't get mixed up. Raven Pro has tools to mark =
"selections" for all sounds in a file which match certain characteristics -=
 duration, separation, frequency range, energy level, etc.

I think there's a trial version of Raven Pro, but I can't remember what the=
 restrictions on it are. I know that Raven Lite, which is free, is a very c=
ut down version of it, and I think not suitable for what you want to do. Ra=
ven Pro is normally $400, but occasionally they sell it at $100.

Peter Shute