Re: Your favorite mic...

Subject: Re: Your favorite mic...
From: "Steve Sergeant" stevesgt
Date: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:31 am ((PDT))
In the '80's, I taught a university course on sound design and
production for film and television. One of my students asked me, "what's
the best microphone placement to record a piano?"

I answered, in sort of a zen-like koan, "what's the best place to stand
to photograph a mountain?"

So I think, Dan, your photography metaphor is apt.

To repeat what's been discussed here at length, when we're recording
nature soundscapes, we want low self-noise, good tolerance of adverse
and varied environmental conditions, and frequency response that's
consistent from every angle of incidence. That said, your can get a
great recording with some pretty minimal equipment if you just happen to
be in the right place at the right time.

But to directly answer the question posed in the subject line: My
default microphone that I grab when I need the ambiance of somewhere for
my radio documentary work is the Audio-Technica BP4025, in a Rycote
blimp. It's quiet enough, it sounds good enough for radio/TV/film work,
and it's reliable. Cost, as Dan said, is left as an exercise for the reader=
.

On 6/20/14, 11:14 AM, Dan Dugan  [naturerecordists] wrote:
>> Please list your favorite mic, minimal accessories and average cost...
>
> That's like asking a photographer "what's the best lens?" The answer is "=
what for?"

> The minimal accessory is always a serious windscreen. Regarding cost, you=
 can do your own research on the web. Good deals are often found for used h=
igher-end microphones.