Tree used as part of microphone array

Subject: Tree used as part of microphone array
From: "John Brenneman" jbird1946
Date: Tue May 27, 2014 5:51 pm ((PDT))
I haven't posted to the group for some time and want to share some things I=
'm trying.  Wanting  a compact and versatile equipment setup to record soun=
dscapes while traveling abroad I purchased a pair of Telinga clip-on omni m=
ics to use with my PMD 661 recorder.  Closer to home I have been recording =
with a self made Jecklin disc array and a pair of Sennheiser MKH 20's with =
a cage and fake fur surrounding it that some of you may have seen at Dan Du=
gan's. I'm pleased with that setup's performance.  It was suggested that I =
try clipping theTelinga mics to a tree trunk to get similar results without=
 a lot of bulky gear.  Here is a link to an early morning recording in Oakl=
and's Redwood Park using the clip-ons with foam pads and a strap to hold th=
ings to the tree. I think the sound is pretty good with low noise level and=
 a feeling of space.  I would appreciate opinions and suggestions from the =
members out there.  This may be a solution so long as there is a tree.

John Brenneman
https://soundcloud.com/johnny-b-11/tree-used-as-part-of