Re: China

Subject: Re: China
From: "Eric Fassbender" eric.fassbender
Date: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:34 am ((PST))
Peter, just from recent experience in Kalimantan/Borneo where I was questio=
ned by the head of a village about the purpose of my recordings, I would re=
commend stating that you are doing the recordings purely as a hobby. Don't =
mention any political groups (like WWF or similar) or that you are recordin=
g for business. You are just a tourist. Saying that, because of my tourist =
status I was not allowed to go into an area that was reserved for people wi=
th a 'research' visa. But then again that might have just been a corruption=
 issue because I was then offered a semi-legal alternative option to get in=
to the area in question.

Hope this helps,

Eric

On 18/02/2014, at 4:17 PM, peter <> wrote:

> Hello group
>

> Does anyone have experience with recording in China?
> I'm going there next month and was wondering whether there were cultural/=
political/social differences to be aware of?
> For example, I've heard that it's not a good idea to look like a journali=
st. Does that mean it's better to be a bit stealth, or will walking around =
with a blimp be ok?