1. Nagra V

Subject: 1. Nagra V
From: "Nick Dando" =
ld.com
Date: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:08 am ((PST))

I have a Nagra V that I'm going to be using to record items from the radio,=
 and some of my LPs, too. This'll free up the Nagra LB to actually go out a=
nd do some outdoors recordings!

The V came with a 60GB internal drive and an external CF card writer. I'm w=
ondering if anyone has any experience of using CF cards with the V as I've =
tried a lot of different cards and none of them able to be formatted by the=
 V itself. I got a couple of cards with the unit and these work, but they a=
re small capacity and slow transfer speed - 4 GB and 8GB Sandisk Ultra IIs =
at 15 MB/s.

I've tried a Fujifilm 32GB 15 MB/s, two Sandisk Ultra 8GB 30 MB/s, my usual=
 32GB Sandisk Extreme 60 MB/s, which all fail to format (fail on the displa=
y), and another Sandisk 8GB Ultra II. The latter, when inserted into the CF=
 slot, caused the V to just sit there booting.

I've tried formatting the cards in the V, the LB, on my Mac, and re-booting=
 the Mac to use Windows XP, and none of the cards works.

I've already been in contact with Nagra and have received some advice - "Th=
e Nagra V uses CF in the "dual" mode with the HDD (in parallel with the int=
ernal HDD). CF cards must support this mode which is mandatory in the CF st=
andard.
Unfortunately, most devices doesn't use CF in this mode and some CF manufac=
turers don't test or implement this functionality...
So, some cards don't work because of this, not because of the size or the s=
peed of the CF.
Before working with a new card, we recommend to test the compatibility with=
 the Nagra V.
We generally recommend Sandisk cards".

Any thoughts, or am I stuck with just the two original cards? Or is there a=
nother way of transferring the data from the HDD to the computer? I was hop=
ing that some of these accessories might do the trick.

7010540000      ND-PCA  Adaptor RS232/422 for serial PC connection for the
NVCOM =
software
7031100000      NV-COM  PC Software for NAGRA V
2097935000      HD-PCM  PCMCIA / IDE adapter from HDD to PC
2097937000      HD-USB  USB2 / IDE adapter from HDD to PC
2097939000      HD-FW   FIREWIRE / IDE adapter from HDD to PC

Thanks

Nick