Re: In Pursuit of Silence

Subject: Re: In Pursuit of Silence
From: "Nick Dando" =
ld.com
Date: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:56 am ((PST))

Have any of you seen Silence, an Irish film from 2012? It tells the story o=
f a sound recordist, working in Germany, who comes home to Ireland to find =
and record silence.

I=92d not heard of it before, but was watching the trailers before a screen=
ing of Cleopatra at the Stamford Arts Centre, when the trailer for this fil=
m came along. I made a note of it and when it was going to be screened so t=
hat I could check my rota. Luckily, I was able to watch it as my shift patt=
ern meant that I didn=92t need to book a day off work. I was really pleased=
 that I got to see it on the large (ish) screen. There is a small amount of=
 music, for the start and end credits, and some when the recordist is trave=
lling in a car, but the rest seems to be natural sound and human speech. Th=
ere are some truly stunning locations used.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2275949/?ref_=3Dfn_al_tt_2

The film is available on DVD and I highly recommend it.

http://www.find-dvd.co.uk/dvd/Silence/1124302.htm

Another film that might appeal is from Italy. Le Quattro Volte is about a g=
oat herder and his village, deep in the mountains of the south of Italy. On=
ly natural sound is used and there is minimal speech. And it is very funny =
in places. A real gem.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2275949/?ref_=3Dfn_al_tt_2

This is available of DVD and BluRay

http://www.find-dvd.co.uk/dvd/Le-Quattro-Volte/1109193.htm

http://www.find-dvd.co.uk/blu-ray/Le-Quattro-Volte/1111259.htm

Can any of you recommend some more quiet films?

Nick

On 26 Jan 2014, at 09:02, peter <> wrote:

> Let's just hope the film is not as full of music as the trailer is.
>
> when will filmmakers understand that it is possible to make a film withou=
t music to tell the audience what to feel?

> sigh.
>

> On 26 Jan 2014, at 19:33,  wrote:
>

>> Advanced warning, by Cheryl Tripp of the British Library, to the Caught =
by the River people of a new film scheduled for release early next year.