What is the best software for marine soundscape analysis?

Subject: What is the best software for marine soundscape analysis?
From: "Tullio Rossi" tullio.bolo
Date: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:30 pm ((PST))
I am new to the soundscape analysis field and I would like to know in what
direction is best to invest money and time. I am looking for a software that
would allow me to analyse different metrics, from the basics (amplitude of a
certain frequency band) to the advanced such as counting of specific signals
(snapping shrimps snaps and fish vocalizations) and diversity indexes.
I have limited experience with R and no experience at all with Matlab but I am
willing to invest time in it if it is really worth it.
Thank you for your advice!

Tullio Rossi
PhD Candidate
School of Earth and Environmental Sciences, Room 115 Darling Building
The University of Adelaide, AUSTRALIA 5005
Office: +61 8 8313 1484  Mobile: +61 4 6657 9561 e-mail:

[Adelaide Uni Logo small][Logo_new_2_small]
CRICOS Provider Number 00123M