Re: Travel Advice

Subject: Re: Travel Advice
From: madl74
Date: Sun Dec 8, 2013 6:28 am ((PST))
< I've got a solid backup strategy in place and plenty of batteries in the=

hand luggage.

Eric,

Double check whether you can carry a lot of batteries in hand luggage.
Batteries are sometimes regarded with suspicion.

> Any recommendations on getting around? Do you hire a guide with a car or =
do you just hire a car yourselves?

I don't know the current situation, but hiring a vehicle with a driver is
not much more expensive and could even be cheaper than self-drive insurance=
.
If you go to interesting areas you will need an interpreter and a bilingual=

driver fits both jobs. He will have local knowledge which could keep you ou=
of trouble.

Don't point anything at anyone.

If you attract a bunch of locals, that is a noise problem. I've seen film
directors lose it and start shouting "go away everyone" in English and
waving their hands. This makes marvellous entertainment for the villagers
and quickly draws a crowd. Tourists aren't much better.

> Some roads, especially in the remote areas, are possibly going to be hard=
 going and I just wanted to check from your experience whether hiring a 4WD=
 and going into those areas is in fact worth the effort and cost involved o=
r whether I am just as well off staying on accessible roads.

Unsilenced motorbikes are a pain in the third world, so you may need to get=

onto minor roads. Take local advice from your driver/guide.

David Brinicombe