Re: Tascam DR100mkII??

Subject: Re: Tascam DR100mkII??
From: naturalcontemplative
Date: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:54 am ((PDT))
Hi Klas,

 I don't own one but have looked over the manual, which you can download from
Raimund's site or from Tascam.

 http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/718/e_dr-100mk2_om_va.pdf

 You are correct that there is no PIP microphone input. Only the XLR. I believe
David (correct me if I am wrong) gets his low noise by going through an
external preamp into the line input on the DR-100.

 As you can see from Raimund's list, the XLR mic input on the DR-100mkii is
fairly noisy compared to the Olympus and Sony recorders. By the way, the
PMD-661 also does not have a PIP input.

 For low-noise PIP, the Sony's rule. The PCM-D50 (and the new PCM-D100 that
replaces it?), the MZRH1 minidisc (which I still use for this very reason) and
the PCM-M10 (in that order) are the best for 3.5mm PIP input as far as I can
tell.

 John

Westminster, VT

---In  <>
wrote:

 Hello everybody!

 I bought a Tascam DR100mkII to get the low input noise that David talked
about. But I am seriously considering to send it back!

 I cannot find a 3,5 mm mic input and I cannot find a menu setting about
PlugInPower.
 Does that mean that it doesn't have a 3,5 mm input providing PIP??
 (As I am thinking of sending it back, I have not opened the manual. I have not
found any specs on the web telling about a 3,5 mm input.)

 Also, when using it with the internal microphones, the handling noise is
terrible. The smallest little scratch with your fingers on the recorder body,
is very audibly transferred to the mic's. I even doubt it can be used with a
tripod at the gains that nature recordists may need, unless  the whole recorder
is mounted with rubber bands.

 Comments??

 Klas.

 Telinga Microphones, Botarbo,