Re: Autonomous recorders (was "Saying Hello")

Subject: Re: Autonomous recorders (was "Saying Hello")
From: "Peter Shute" pshute2
Date: Fri Oct 4, 2013 2:22 pm ((PDT))
Thanks for posting those, I've just had a listen. (If anyone couldn't find =
them, they're at https://soundcloud.com/user280335380)

They sound ok to my half deaf ears, but there's a background "hiss" that I'=
m not sure is system noise or water or leaves or something. I can hear vehi=
cles in the distance, so I know this could be an urban environment.

I noticed that the spectrogram is quite a lot cleaner below about 2kHz. Is =
there some sort of filter applied?

I also found some samples on the manufacturer's web site at http://www.wild=
lifeacoustics.com/products/song-meter-sm2-birds/sample-recordings. Interest=
ingly, the last sample there seems to have a similar hiss, but looks extrem=
ely clean below 2kHz. Hmm, my recordings look similar when it's reasonably =
quiet, so perhaps that's just normal. I never noticed it before, perhaps it=
 depends on what insects are calling.

It's a pity they're out of my budget range. I like the idea of setting up a=
 few of these at the start of a holiday trip, then picking them up in a wee=
k. If I'm doing unattended recordings with my current equipment, why do I n=
eed to get up well before dawn every day just to set it up when I could jus=
t do it once in daylight?

I had no idea we had a Nature Recordists group on Soundcloud, or even that =
Soundcloud had groups. It's a pity so many people have ignored the request =
to post music tracks to it.

Peter Shute