Re: Nakamichi CM-300 Problem solved!

Subject: Re: Nakamichi CM-300 Problem solved!
From: "Max" oatcruncher
Date: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:49 am ((PDT))
Hi Umashankar!
Very many thanks for your detailed and informing reply. On the basis of you=
r information, I was brave enough to try again my CM-300 with initially the=
 omni capsule. To my bemusement it worked perfectly. I then changed to the =
CP-4 shotgun capsule, and this worked perfectly also, with no nasty initial=
 noises. I then tried my iRig with ME-66 but still no go; absolutely dead. =
But now to confession time; I had totally forgotten that I had to use a lea=
d/connector adaptor between the iRig lead and LS-10!!!!! I'm feeling unabas=
hedly, cringingly stupid about this, and apologise to the whole group for t=
his lapse. I will of course put it down to a prolonged 'senior moment'!!
In a way I'm sorry I found out, because I was just about to buy a new recor=
der!
Once again my apologies to you Umashankar. One thing I did find in my net t=
rawling was the following link which you may find of interest, if you weren=
't aware of it already; it  mentions our friend Klas. See reply #11 here:
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=3D27274.0
Cheers
Max

--- In  umashankar <> wrote:

> dear max
> =A0
> this is a reply to both this and your next message.
> =A0
> I will first tell you what I know of the cm 300 - I own and have dismantl=
ed a few. it is a very good all round microphone, with low noise. input sen=
sitivity is dependent on battery voltage, and it needs an unusual cylindric=
al nine volt battery. I used to make mine out of rechargeable button cells =
used in older computer motherboards. The cm 300 has a transformer output, w=
ith a standard xlr male termination.
> =A0
> you can in fact use it balanced into a mixer. or unbalanced=A0 with a qua=
rter inch jack (into a Sony TCD5M cassette recorder), an XLR pair to stereo=
 1/8 inch jack (to a WMD6 and later a minidisc recorder). I guess you can w=
ire it to any unbalanced input if you have the right jacks. . you should ha=
ve no trouble wiring pin 2 to tip and 1 and 3 to shield. if you are using a=
 standard 3 pin 1/8 in jack, you have the option of connecting both pins of=
 the jack to the pin 2 connection to get dual mono. with a four pin jack th=
ere are unfortunately a few variations. my suggestion would be to connect a=
 bare jack, put on headphones, and see which pins are active. you solder th=
e wire from pin 2 (of the xlr) to them. it is likely that two of them are h=
eadphone outputs, and only one is the microphone input.
> =A0
> it is unlikely you have damaged your inputs. it is possible of course to =
cause physical damage by forcing a two pin 1/8 in jack into a 4 pin socket =
but I do not think so. and the nakamichi does not put out any output voltag=
e or draw any, so there is no possibility of damage to the electronics.
> =A0
> umashankar
> =A0
> umashankar

ain the wiring of the original lead (pin 2 to tip, pin 1 and 3 jumpered tog=
ether to shield), to use with my LS-10 direct?
> Cheers
> Max
>
> --- In  umashankar <umashanks@> wrote:
> >
> > nakamichi cm 300 is a transformer output balanced microphone. it is 9 v=
olt battery powered, but phantom voltages will not damage it.