Re: Nakamichi CM-300

Subject: Re: Nakamichi CM-300
From: "umashankar" umashanks
Date: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:06 pm ((PDT))
dear max
=A0
this is a reply to both this and your next message.
=A0
I will first tell you what I know of the cm 300 - I own and have dismantled=
 a few. it is a very good all round microphone, with low noise. input sensi=
tivity is dependent on battery voltage, and it needs an unusual cylindrical=
 nine volt battery. I used to make mine out of rechargeable button cells us=
ed in older computer motherboards. The cm 300 has a transformer output, wit=
h a standard xlr male termination.
=A0
you can in fact use it balanced into a mixer. or unbalanced=A0 with a quart=
er inch jack (into a Sony TCD5M cassette recorder), an XLR pair to stereo 1=
/8 inch jack (to a WMD6 and later a minidisc recorder). I guess you can wir=
e it to any unbalanced input if you have the right jacks. . you should have=
 no trouble wiring pin 2 to tip and 1 and 3 to shield. if you are using a s=
tandard 3 pin 1/8 in jack, you have the option of connecting both pins of t=
he jack to the pin 2 connection to get dual mono. with a four pin jack ther=
e are unfortunately a few variations. my suggestion would be to connect a b=
are jack, put on headphones, and see which pins are active. you solder the =
wire from pin 2 (of the xlr) to them. it is likely that two of them are hea=
dphone outputs, and only one is the microphone input.
=A0
it is unlikely you have damaged your inputs. it is possible of course to ca=
use physical damage by forcing a two pin 1/8 in jack into a 4 pin socket bu=
t I do not think so. and the nakamichi does not put out any output voltage =
or draw any, so there is no possibility of damage to the electronics.
=A0
umashankar
=A0
umashankar