Re: [windows-1252] Re: [Nature Recordists] maybe a strange question€

Subject: Re: [windows-1252] Re: [Nature Recordists] maybe a strange question€
From: madl74
Date: Fri Aug 9, 2013 7:05 am ((PDT))
> Hi David,
> when recording with gunmics (Sennheiser K6/ME66) I keep them spaced to
> form a 30 degrees V with 16cm spacing? ¢Â  on their front. I also tried
> keeping
> them parallel, spaced by 16cm as well. However I don't have a clear idea of
> which solution is better? ¢â? ¦. With the V I get more stereo effect on the
> sources I'm pointing to, but sounds coming from the side may appear more
> frontal than their real position. I'd need more testing about these
> configurations. Any idea about this issue ?

Gianni,

The reason I use crossed gunmics is to greatly reduce the sensitivity of the
rig to other sounds like wind noise, planes and distant traffic. The
compromise is that all of the sound is recorded off-centre of one or both
mics, and all directional mics have odd frequency responses off-centre.

However, with MKH416's, a mic angle of about 25 to 30 degrees gives s clean
enough image with good noise rejection. I experimented with spacing the
mics, but finished up with the capsules one above the other to get volume
stereo only which sounded "cleaner".

The weak point is the centre image which is off-centre of both mics, hence
the fairly narrow angle between the mics. I also tried a wider angle of
about 45 deg with an MKH816 long gun panned to the centre, filling in the
gap and it sounded good but was unmanageable as a portable rig.

I've also experimented with a pair of MKH 816's, but they are very
directional and the stereo image varies too much with frequency, but they
will record stereo birdsong very clean of ambient noise. The side rejection
of these mics is around 20dB.

David Brinicombe