Re: [windows-1252] Re: [Nature Recordists] maybe a strange question€

Subject: Re: [windows-1252] Re: [Nature Recordists] maybe a strange question€
From: madl74
Date: Fri Aug 9, 2013 2:47 am ((PDT))
> Dear Dan, I agree with the method you suggest, however my willing is to
> have a smooth noise to easily see in real-time the coloration of mics and
> variable mounting options.
> I'll do some tests with different sources? ¢â? ¦. including waterfalls and
> showers.

Gianni,

I also find using a power spectrum useful to see colourations, especially if
you compare this with a known mic to see what is source sound colouration
and what is colouration by the mic under test. Look for a "comb effect"
where the response rises and falls at regular intervals.

With stereo recording, much of the sound is coming in off-axis and with
directional mics like cardioids and gunmics, the frequency response pattern
often changes off-axis.

Even with a "flat" response, the mic mount, windshield, surrounding objects
and the ground can all produce colourations. A classic colouration is with a
passing aircraft on a mono mic mounted above a hard ground surface when you
get a variable comb filter effect from the ground reflection.

I use crossed gunmics (MKH-416) and if they are set too wide, the
colouration becomes very audible. Where they win out is the lower
sensitivity to unwanted sounds and reflections.

David Brinicombe