Re: Recording levels or Where to find quiet.

Subject: Re: Recording levels or Where to find quiet.
From: "Peter Shute" pshute2
Date: Wed Aug 7, 2013 12:54 pm ((PDT))
What time of day was it? In some places there are less vehicles and planes =
early in the morning. Or you could put the mics closer to a stream to mask =
the noise. Or make a long recording in the hope there'll be some quiet part=
s. Or try somewhere else.=0D
=0D
If you search for "anthrophony" in the list archives you'll find plenty of =
discussion about it.=0D
=0D
How does recording low and increasing the level at home help? Won't the sou=
nds just become audible again?=0D
=0D
Peter Shute=0D
=0D
Sent from my iPad=0D
=0D
On 07/08/2013, at 11:52 PM, "glenn.ashmore" <<gashmo=
>> wrote:=0D
=0D
=0D
=0D
The question is, how do you deal with noise pollution?=0D
=0D
Being a newbie to this hobby I assembled a field kit from what I had using =
an old Edirol R-1, Rolls MX34C preamp/mixer and a pair of Rode NT2As. This =
turned out to be a very quiet chain but finding an unpolluted environment i=
s turning out to be a problem. In the backyard I get an underlying cacophon=
y of air conditioners so I went out to the national forest 20 miles from no=
where, set up an ORTF arrangement next to a pond with lots of natural sound=
s and set my levels the way I would at home.=0D
=0D
On the first attempt besides the local natural sounds I got a forest servic=
e tractor clearing a road about 2 miles away, 3 or 4 airplanes and a heavy =
truck. None of which I could hear with my bare ears.=0D
=0D
Second attempt I cut the levels way back figuring to normalize when I got h=
ome and the extraneous noise went away but so did a lot of the more subtle =
local sounds.=0D
=0D
=0D
=0D