REVEIL live mic network - long announce

Subject: REVEIL live mic network - long announce
From: "grant" baraitsersmith
Date: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:59 am ((PDT))
Hello all

We'd like to announce REVEIL - an emerging collaboration between locus sonu=
s, CRiSAP, SARC et al, to extend the open mic network at locus sonus toward=
s a 24 hour live daybreak broadcast on 3 - 4 MAY 2014 and beyond.

The broadcast will track dawn around the globe, relying on a range of live =
audio streams at locus sonus and elsewhere - fixed and mobile -  permanent =
to ephemeral - hi to lo fi.

REVEIL takes inspirations from Don Kroodsma's analogy to surfing the dawn c=
horus, Messiaen's R=E9veil des Oiseaux, and Ragnar Olafsson's daybreak fore=
ver  - another locus sonus project, realised when we were still thinking ab=
out how to do this.

By contrast with 2 years ago, there appears now to be a burst of experiment=
ation around live audio streaming, much of it relatively little known, whic=
h reveil  would like to draw on and knit together.

We would like all kinds of global soundscapes to be included. It would be e=
specially good to contribute to evolving a network of permanent open mics i=
n places of special environmental and listening interest.

The other day on radioaporee I came across this live stream from under the =
ice in the Antarctic currently in 24 hour darkness. Suddenly you find yours=
elf listening to the sounds of whales, seals and the ice itself with what? =
a few seconds' lag - which reminded me of the particular if paradoxical qua=
lities of time and place which reveil wants to tune to.

We would be delighted to hear from people who are interested in taking part=
:  by listening, streaming, broadcasting, or a mixture, or in other ways. I=
n particular, we are seeking:

/ Broadcast partners: radio stations to cover a section of the earth day br=
oadcast;

/ Lone Streamers: there are many ways:  you can set up an open mic at locus=
 sonus using new or spare equipment; you can build a streambox from a Raspb=
erry Pi; you can stream from a mobile over 3G to mixlr. You could become a =
hub.

/ Hubs: groups or individuals to promote and facilitate streaming in their =
area and or among their networks. You might but need not be part of a natur=
e reserves, field station, radio stations, hack lab, university department.=
.. You want to run a stream. You also might want to run a workshop building=
 streamboxes with Raspberry Pi's [on a model currently being piloted by Gr=
=E9goire Lauvin et al in France, and in London by CRiSAP and self noise]

/ Mobile, remote, ephemeral streamers: we would like to point people in the=
 direction of setting up permanent open microphones. But we would also like=
 to widen the network to take stock of recent mobile applications such as m=
ixlr, which permit fast easy stereo streaming from mobile devices. We are c=
ompiling a recipe book of streaming audio spanning all bandwidths and appro=
aches - it would be great to hear about your experiences and hear you at da=
ybreak on 3-4 MAY wherever you are

/ Voices: we would like to hear your thoughts and propositions around the r=
eveil project, technical tips and blocks, the possibilities for evolving an=
d curating a  live environmental audio network - perhaps as a twist on the =
great projects announced recently by Arbimon in Puerto Rico with repurposed=
 ipods.. can we think about the options for a paradoxical Live Soundscape A=
rchive..

/ Existing streams we don't know about - especially from the Pacific and At=
lantic Oceans! - let us know

More info from me and links below

bw
grant