Re: Digital Compression - was New SSM

Subject: Re: Digital Compression - was New SSM
From: "Robin" robin_parmar_sound
Date: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:34 am ((PDT))
jtudor2005 wrote:

> Robin, you're missing my point.

I am certainly not missing your point as I know a fair amount about psychoa=
cosutics and even know some people who have been working on improving the M=
P3 algorithm... which is ongoing work, by the way. I myself was testing the=
 Fraunhofer IIS back when one had to individually license the products. And=
 when the audio results were quite dismal!

> I'm saying that the conversion to MP3 leaves
> a lot of information out.

Well, that would be the whole point. MP3 is perceptually encoded to leave o=
ut what we cannot hear anyway, due to a variety of masking effects. If you =
cannot hear the difference, then there is no difference, despite what your =
bits and graphs show. The compromise is in how aggressively one applies the=
 algorithms. Too aggressive and one saves more space, but artefacts appear.

In a good studio with proper isolation and excellent monitors, it is rather=
 difficult to tell the best MP3 streams (which are all I use) from uncompre=
ssed PCM. On some sources, it's impossible. There are many studies.

But listening environments are far from ideal. Most listening devices too. =
(Or do you have a $40K DAC?) In the "real world", 320kbps is good enough fo=
r accurate playback except for those with some existential angst over digit=
al.

(Please note that I am not advocating perceptual encoding for anything exce=
pt final delivery format.)

> And I can't say I've ever heard an MP3 version
> that sounds as good as a Wav version

While I do not wish to challenge your subjectivity, I find this statement d=
ifficult to believe. A rip from a typical over-compressed rock record sound=
s bad no matter how it is packaged. There's almost no dynamics and relative=
ly little variety in tonal information. But you are saying it will sound wo=
rse with MP3?

-- Robin Parmar