Re: Advice for a novice recordist

Subject: Re: Advice for a novice recordist
From: "John Crockett" naturalcontemplative
Date: Sat Jul 6, 2013 5:34 am ((PDT))
Hi Norman,

When looking for a cable you also need to be aware that it needs to be wired
correctly. You want one that is "dual mono" or balanced-unbalanced. The one you
linked to looks like it might be balanced-balanced.

See my note at message #50975 for more on this.

Also, the NTG-2 looks like a fairly noisy microphone (18 dB self noise). Can
you find a used Sennheiser ME66/K6? The ME66 is a much quieter microphone (10
dB self noise), and also more sensitive. It is very commonly used for bird song
and would work well with the LS12. Like the NTG-2, the ME66/K6 runs on a 1.5v
battery so you don't need a phantom power supply, but you do need the same
xlr-3.5mm cable.

John Crockett
Westminster, Vermont