Re: need help with fizzing or interference in my mkh 40 mic

Subject: Re: need help with fizzing or interference in my mkh 40 mic
From: "vickipowys" vpowys
Date: Wed Jul 3, 2013 5:16 pm ((PDT))
Unfortunately I'm an expert on fizzing Sennheiser pro mikes.

If you've switched cables then it is sure to be the mics.  My MKH20
that fizzed was brand new and was repaired under warranty 'replaced
capacitor' or somesuch.  The next saga was with MKH 8020s, I went
through 3 or 4 pairs of brand new mics and it was not just me, others
worldwide had fizzing problems also.  This problem was eventually
tracked down to an earthing design which has now been rectified in
subsequent manufacturing.  I even had a problem some years ago with a
brand new K6 ME mic, noisy and need repair.

So all I can say is to take your fizzing mic to a Sennheiser place
and get it repaired.  Despite the reputation for MKH mics being bomb-
proof, my experience is that they are not.

Maybe someone who knows about mic internal structure might offer
advice on DIY, but not me.

Vicki