Re: A tropical orchard in spring for your rating please

Subject: Re: A tropical orchard in spring for your rating please
From: "Sudipto Roy" sudiptoroy17
Date: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:59 pm ((PDT))
Thanks for your warm and enthusiasitc response. It makes the recording wort=
h the effort. I am glad that I had mentioned the precise name of the locati=
on while posting.

Regarding the sanctuary - it's a very small orchard with lots of old fr=
uit trees (one can walk from one end to the other in less than 5 minutes), =
a few small water bodies inside and an almost silted up and clogged narrow =
canal nearby. But it houses an amazing variety of birds - as you heard. It =
used to be a large private orchard but when the owners started selling smal=
l plots of lands the government was forced to intervene as it was very popu=
lar with the local naturalists and birders. It was bought out by the govern=
ment and declared a sanctuary a few years ago. It is certainly open to publ=
ic throughout the year for a small entry fee from dawn to dusk.

It is surrounded by houses but the big bad city is yet to catch up properly=
 - but it is coming nevertheless. It is a little off the main road where lo=
ud buses and trucks ply but they are not audible from the sanctuary. The ro=
ad in front is narrow and not so busy. You can probably hear one loud honk =
of a truck. It is relatively early in the morning so not much man made nois=
e either.

You are most welcome to our city sir. I think you will like the local birdi=
ng scene here particularly if you come in December/January. I am giving you=
 the link to a check list for the sanctuary. That particular website has lo=
ts of other stuff on birding in this part of the world including a few inte=
rviews of people like Pam Rasmussen and the Inskipps etc.

http://www.kolkatabirds.com/ckbslist.htm

This list also includes birds of the neighbouring areas of the sanctuary wh=
ich includes a small patch of grassland and a waterbody.

I hope to share more nature sounds in future and hope to learn from you all=
.

Regards

Sudipto