Re: My almost first recording, please rate

Subject: Re: My almost first recording, please rate
From: "Max" oatcruncher
Date: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:50 am ((PDT))
Hi Robert,
I feel bad that nobody has answered your post. I don't consider myself in any
way an expert, but I CAN give my opinion. I listened to your recording over my
studio speakers, and the first thing I noticed was the sound level - more than
adequate; a lot of first recordings are much too quiet. The sound of the water
was very clear, and gave a true impression of the situation. As a test
recording this proved all was working well. What was missing was undulation,
and the intrusion of some other sound/s to break up the monotone. If, for
instance, you had recorded a seashore, even with no other sounds intruding, you
would have the sound of waves lapping in a RANDOM manner.
Weirs and waterfalls are a very blanketing sound, which will very effectively
cover up most other sounds that are around. Getting the balance right, between
say a weir and some squabbling ducks nearby, is down to good mic placement, and
particularly, monitoring what you're recording. And this is one situation where
closed ear headphones are really necessary. What your ears tell you, and what
the recorder hears, are normally two totally different things!
I won't say any more, apart from good luck with all your future recording, may
it be free of barking dogs, wind noise, intrusive flies, handling noise, mobile
phone and electric fence pick-up et cetera, et cetera!! It's like life
generally; don't let it get you down!
Cheers
Max

--- In  "motoman77" <> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It is my almost first recording of a stream (or small waterfall) in a forest.
>
> https://soundcloud.com/motoman77/small-waterfall
>
> It was recorded with use of Olympus LS-14, internal mics (middle mic off; no
> filters, no software edition - only trim in Audition; rec level: 50) and WJ-4
> windjammer. The recorder was mounted on a tripod which I put in the stream
> (there is a photo showing recording scene).
>
> Since I need to learn, please rate (in terms of technical and artistic) my
> recording. Any comments will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Regards,
> Robert

<*> Your email settings: