Re: Marantz PMD661 opinion please

Subject: Re: Marantz PMD661 opinion please
From: "Norman Davies" nrdavies.jim71
Date: Tue Jun 4, 2013 9:35 am ((PDT))
hi, I can stick my nose in her if you like.

I have the 611 and the LS100. The 611 is a proper nice bit of universal kit=
 that finally replaces anything you were struggling with before you found o=
ut it was time to get a unit of this type. It's very reliable and all featu=
res are pretty equal with no nasty surprises.

The Ls100 is a very different beast. It excels at line and mic via XLR. It =
also has the ability to fool around with multitracking but I've not tried t=
hat. It's got 2 very serious negatives that spoil it badly.

1) it cannot be used in recording mode while it's connected to mains power/=
usb ( charge ).

2) the little stereo mini Jack mic input is "horrible". Seriously, it's not=
 just poor, it's gastly. I really don't know what on earth Olympus were thi=
nking when they decided that was ok for public release.

So, The LS100 has got nasty problems. Even the built in mics have a queer s=
tereo field that I can't live at all. I think I'm very likely to sell mine =
before long. The XLR inputs are great, but when it's running on a battery (=
 which is all it will do ), I can only get a max of 3 to 3 and a half hours=
 recording out of it. That may be fine for a musician with a pocket full of=
 batteries but I need something I can leave out in the woods over night.

If you need XLR and phantom power, get the 611, it's a good'n. The LS100 is=
 a pain for an outdoor recordist.

norman.