Re: headphones for use on field

Subject: Re: headphones for use on field
From: madl74
Date: Mon May 27, 2013 4:12 am ((PDT))
> According with you which brand of headphones are the best to use on field=
 recordings.

> My rack is: Zoom H4N and Senheisser ME-66 with the K6.

Manuel,

Welcome to this list. You will get all sorts of advice here and don't worry=

if we don't all agree. :-)

Headphones as an overall check.

I've got a "pro" rig but also use lightweight stuff with a pocket digital
recorder. I listen as I record to check that everything is working and
nothing has come adrift. I've also had a bee on a windshield which I
wouldn't have noticed if I wasn't monitoring the recording. With a simple
rig there's nothing much you can do about monitoring quality, so I use
a pair of Sennheiser PX 100 lightweight 3.5mm plug folding headphones which=

pack into a clamshell case.

Headphones for field recording.

If I want to judge a stereo image or balance birds against background
noises, I use "open" type AKG K 240 headphones which plug into a "pro"
mixer. These have a good response but don't exclude direct sounds. Also the=

sound you hear will be different from what you will hear from a loudspeaker=

setup, so you have to "interpret" the sound you hear in the headphones. You=
ears have to be "educated" to judge the final loudspeaker result.

Noise excluding and noise cancelling headphones.

I used to use these in my working days for locations like interviews in
factories or aircraft or anything critical in a noisy background. These
inevitably have a different sound to the open types, particularly at the
bass end, but for nature recording would probably not be needed most of the=

time.

Hope that helps.

David Brinicombe