Re: advice on choosing software for soundscapes (bio, geo, & androph

Subject: Re: advice on choosing software for soundscapes (bio, geo, & androph
From: "CHAD CLIFFORD" =
il.com
Date: Tue May 14, 2013 10:07 am ((PDT))

Thanks Peter and Max for those tips,
yes I meant anthrophony (haha--oops!).

At this point I believe we would be interested in looking for (and yearly m=
onitoring of) diversity of sounds (especially wildlife), density (perhaps b=
y volume of sound or number of calls over a specified amount of time), and =
as needed, how traffic or human made noise may interfere with local wildlif=
e.  And just create some recordings that can be used as reference in the fu=
ture.  This spring we recorded the frogs present at one of the ponds (later=
 identified Spring Peepers, Bullfrogs, Chorus Frog, and Green Frog and a ye=
t  identified bird).  (Eventually hope to invest in some weatherproof recor=
ders and mics  to leave out in these area too).  So, spectrogram software t=
hat can best help in these sorts of areas is what  I am searching for.  I w=
ill check out Audacity and Sonic Visualizer.

On 2013-05-14, at 12:30 PM, Max Catterwell wrote:

> I'll also plug Audacity, and of course the free download of Audition 3, i=
f it's still available. The latter certainly has better noise reduction alg=
orithms than the earlier version I was using.
> Cheers
> Max
>
> Sent from my iPod
>
> On 14 May 2013, at 17:18, Peter Shute <> wrote:
>
> > What exactly are you using this software for, Chad? If you just want to=
 scan through spectrograms looking for calls manually then free software li=
ke Audacity or Sonic Visualiser will do the job.

> > If by "statistical analysis" you mean tools to help you automatically i=
dentify calls, or to search recordings for particular types of calls then y=
ou'll need something else. My brief look at Raven makes me think it only as=
sists you in finding calls, but that every hit will need checking, and it c=
an't identify calls for you. I hadn't heard of Song Scope.

> > I think Raven Lite has a restriction on the length of the file, and has=
 no search tool.

> > I'd be wary of any claims that any software can identify species for yo=
u. I'm sure some can, but do they only do certain species, can they cope wi=
th recordings with background noise or where the call in question is very f=
aint?

> > I suspect "spectrogram" is a more commonly used term in software than s=
onogram or sonograph (or sonagram or sonagraph). This is worth remembering =
if you're googling for information. It took me about a year to discover the=
y're built into Audacity because I didn't know what they called them.

m>> wrote:

> > I am going to be volunteering some time for collecting songscapes at lo=
cal protected areas. I am just learning about how to analyze data and sonog=
raghs. I hope to be a able to compare recorded files and have a program tha=
t does some statistical analysis and help identify species in recordings et=
c.

> > Hence, am trying to find user-friendly software. I have been using the =
free version of Raven (seemed good). I am now looking at Song Scope and Rav=
en Pro.