Re: advice on choosing software for soundscapes (bio, geo, & androph

Subject: Re: advice on choosing software for soundscapes (bio, geo, & androph
From: "Max Catterwell" oatcruncher
Date: Tue May 14, 2013 9:30 am ((PDT))
I'll also plug Audacity, and of course the free download of Audition 3, if =
it's still available. The latter certainly has better  noise reduction algo=
rithms than the earlier version I was using.
Cheers
Max

Sent from my iPod

On 14 May 2013, at 17:18, Peter Shute <> wrote:

> What exactly are you using this software for, Chad? If you just want to s=
can through spectrograms looking for calls manually then free software like=
 Audacity or Sonic Visualiser will do the job.

> If by "statistical analysis" you mean tools to help you automatically ide=
ntify calls, or to search recordings for particular types of calls then you=
'll need something else. My brief look at Raven makes me think it only assi=
sts you in finding calls, but that every hit will need checking, and it can=
't identify calls for you. I hadn't heard of Song Scope.

> I think Raven Lite has a restriction on the length of the file, and has n=
o search tool.

> I'd be wary of any claims that any software can identify species for you.=
 I'm sure some can, but do they only do certain species, can they cope with=
 recordings with background noise or where the call in question is very fai=
nt?

> I suspect "spectrogram" is a more commonly used term in software than son=
ogram or sonograph (or sonagram or sonagraph). This is worth remembering if=
 you're googling for information. It took me about a year to discover they'=
re built into Audacity because I didn't know what they called them.

@ymail.com>" <<>=
> wrote:
>

> I am going to be volunteering some time for collecting songscapes at loca=
l protected areas. I am just learning about how to analyze data and sonogra=
ghs. I hope to be a able to compare recorded files and have a program that =
does some statistical analysis and help identify species in recordings etc.

> Hence, am trying to find user-friendly software. I have been using the fr=
ee version of Raven (seemed good). I am now looking at Song Scope and Raven=
 Pro.