9. Re: So, I have lost everything...

Subject: 9. Re: So, I have lost everything...
From: "John Campbell" jcampbellmagiancomau
Date: Wed Apr 3, 2013 7:08 pm ((PDT))
Interesting details raised in this discussion (new topic may be warranted).
 Can I add a further detail, only applicable I believe to Mac OS 10.8.

I found inadvertently that the hidden partition Recovery HD is not able to
be cloned in this OS by Super Duper.  Only the paid version of Carbon Copy
Cloner is able to do that.  See the following:

http://macsolvers.wordpress.com/2012/09/20/cloning-a-mountain-lion-installa=
tion/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4386330?start=3D0&tstart=3D0

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 11:36 AM, Eric Fassbender <>wr=
ote:

> [...]
> products (Carbon Copy Cloner for example) could manage the "warm" clone.
> >
> > Incremental backups impose a storage overhead (to keep the earlier
> versions of the file), so if your working practices lead to large files
> changing regularly (for example if regular metadata changes are saved
> within a media file), you may need to think about how this interplays wit=
> your backup strategy. The backup software which performs the incremental
> backups will allow you to specify policies about how many past stages are
> retained and at what intervals.
> >
> > There is nothing wrong with using a RAID configuration as the "primary"
> in this strategy -- in fact it would be an improvement over my approach i=
> providing some level, albeit imperfect, of intra-day protection. I just
> didn't go down this route again to keep the cost and complexity down. But=
> know people who are using Drobos, and others who are using G-Technology
> RAID boxes, and are very happy with them. You just need to recognise they
> are not a complete solution in themselves, and can be costly if they fail=
,
> as per my first note.
> >
> > My units connect to my Mac tower by eSATA, but in today's world USB3 or
> Thunderbolt would be better and more future-proof. As you say, any of the=
se
> will be faster than Ethernet to a network storage box.
> >
> > I am aware that you can construct RAID arrays in the way you suggest
> with software, either with external devices or indeed with internal drive=
> within your Mac/PC, but I do not have any direct experience with this
> approach.
> >
> > I'm repeating what you already said to some degree, but there are indee=
> different RAID strategies. As you said, RAID Level 1 is a mirror, and is
> often combined with RAID Level 0 ("striping"). RAID 0 often confuses peop=
le
> because it has nothing to do with redundancy -- it simply spreads data
> across 2 or more drives for speed in access. Many of the larger capacity
> drives you can buy today (including the ones I have) in fact have 2 drive=
> internally in a RAID 0 configuration for speed, but look like a single
> large drive to the computer, and the RAID provides no backup protection.
> RAID Level 1 (a mirror) is the most secure but least space-efficient of t=
he
> redundant RAID configurations. RAID Level 5 is possibly a better choice f=
or
> redundancy -- in practice is is very secure and is much more space
> efficient than RAID 1.
> >
> > Kin
> >
> > --- In  Eric Fassbender <>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Kin,
> > >
> > > I agree that there is still the element of the RAID server that can
> fail and in your case it has happened, so apparently it is not unlikely. =
So