6. Re: speaking of fetch

Subject: 6. Re: speaking of fetch
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:32 pm ((PDT))
> This thought also has me wondering if a compressor is a flexible
> fetch control, suitable for nature work and what the group's
> opinions are regarding the use of compression/expansion in nature
> recording.

Keith,

Last first. Compression destroys the reality of a recording. We have
got so used to compression we often don't notice it but almost every
broadcast, for instance, is compressed, including classical music.
With natural recordings, I would hope that compression is never used.
The opposite, expansion, can be very carefully used to reduce noise,
but if it is not confined to high frequencies and low expansion
ratios, it also rapidly becomes objectinable.

> I'm curious to learn whether the concept of fetch might have
> something to do with the steepness of the transfer function of a
> given microphone.

Aargh! "Fetch" is subjective and dependant on mic deployment rather
than theory. It is judged with the ears, not the meter. I can be a
theory wonk on occasion, but I hope I am still a sound artist and can
best judge a recording by emotions. We don't judge Bach by the beat.

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: