1. Re: Impressed!

Subject: 1. Re: Impressed!
From: "Klas Strandberg" klasstrandberg
Date: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:42 pm ((PST))
Thanks for the evaluation, Vicky! It's so nice to hear mic's you have
made in places where you have never been!

""just plonk the (SSM) rig anywhere and it will 'create' a pleasant
scene for you."

Right on spot! That is what SSM is made for! It is made to be as omni
as possible, picking up sounds around it, with as little coloration
as possible, - still having a even 180 degrees forward boost at high
mid and high, so that you can EQ the track and gain some mic noise.

(Here is a file for the ones who want to dig a bit deeper into this:
http://klas.telinga.com/demo/walkinginacircle.mp3
There is not much difference between the foot steps 180 degrees forward.)

Ray Mansell's "Moose Encounter" at
https://soundcloud.com/llesnam-yar/moose-encounter shows this better
than any other recording I know. As I hear it, the animals are
walking in the water to the left, getting up on land, walking around
behind the microphones and then into the water again. This recording
would have been totally different with a SASS and I would not have liked it=
.

Of course it is productive to evaluate the sound imaging forward of
the SASS, compared to the SSM, but one has to consider that the
microphones are very different, principally, and that they are meant
to do different things.

B.t.w: There is a DIY kit for the SSM, where you can put them more
apart and improvise as you like.

Klas.