1. Re: Is my equipment outdated?

Subject: 1. Re: Is my equipment outdated?
From: "John Crockett" naturalcontemplative
Date: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:14 am ((PST))
I'm afraid did not explain myself very clearly. I agree that a blimp is the=
 best solution, but I did think someone might have come up with some kind o=
f wind sock that is cheaper than a blimp and adequate in most conditions.

The problem for others who might be considering buying an NT4 to be aware o=
f is that I have found the foam wind shield that comes with the NT4 to be u=
seless outside, because it fits very loosely around the microphone capsules=
. Adding a furry thing that is designed to fit over the stock foam shield i=
s also useless because the whole thing remains open at the back and the foa=
m remains very loose. The slightest breeze swamps the capsules even with th=
e furry thing in place, unless it is a very light breeze into which the mic=
rophone is directly facing.

I have used exactly the same furry thing on my Zoom H2, with the stock foam=
 that comes with the H2, and it works perfectly because the foam has a comp=
lete, tight fit. But it is useless on the NT4 (for which it was supposedly =
designed) because of the loose-fitting foam shield that comes with the micr=
ophone.

I thought maybe someone had come up with a solution short of spending $300 =
or more on a blimp, a sort of diy mini blimp for light-breezy conditions. B=
ut perhaps not. The Rode Blimp works well, I just wish there were a less bu=
lky alternative.

John